Oh how I love lists! To do lists, favorites lists, etc. etc. etc.! They are constantly running through my head about various topics. So maybe I'll start a list of the week. But, given my blogging track record, I will probably say it will be every week, and this may be the only one. We shall see. Here we go!
This list has been in my head today. Over the last couple of years, as we have moved into a home and had a baby, we've (happily) had to prioritize and make some adjustments. Sometimes I wish I could go back and make these changes earlier and put all the money we would have saved into a big jar! :)
Things I Used to Splurge On (And How it is Today):
1. Then: Veritas, complete with appetizers, bottle of wine, and dessert
- Now: If we really wanna live it up - Dominos Pizza and Cinnastix
2. Then: Mach 3 Turbo razor blades
- Now: Schick Extreme3 Disposable Razor Blades - 8 for around $10 instead of $24. They work just as well, but you do have to be more careful to avoid nicks and cuts.
3. Then: Monthly pedicures
- Now: Salon pedicures every other month or so in the Spring and Summer (a girl's gotta live a little!), home self-pedicures in between and during Fall and Winter
4. Then: Weekly bottles of wine, and only the best (well, up to $30 and an accidental $50 purchase on our honeymoon)
- Now: Maybe every other week, and $10 max. Probably even less than that, mainly because I'm so tired these days after the babygirl goes to bed, and I don't want to make myself even more drowsy!
5. Then: Anthropologie home decor
- Now: Clearing out all that home decor to simplify. Speaking of, Ranger showed me this helpful blog this morning.
6. Then: Technology convenience items (av and electric adapters for car, extra phone chargers, wireless internet...)
- Now: Nope.
7. Then: Anything medical or dental that was recommended
- Now: Only if it's life or death, or covered 100% by insurance... or I guess if a tooth were to fall out, but I probably wouldn't pay for the temporary fix. I could be snaggletooth for a few weeks while waiting for the real thing. :) However, Claire is an exception - whatever is recommended for our little biddle.
8. Then: Almost daily Starbucks drinks and oatmeal
- Now: This and this.
9. Then: Bimonthly massages
- Now: "Scree" (as in Ranger "screes" my back at night or I "scree" his head when we watch TV).
10. Then: Prescriptives or Lancome Mascara
- Now: CoverGirl Lash Blast Fusion
What are some creative ways you have cut back? Any recommendations for other quality, yet inexpensive items or services that you have used to replace former "splurges"?
God Knows by Lisa Whittle
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment