Preface: Archie and Norman have been such a blessing in my life, especially over the last few days. They traveled with me like perfect angels in their kennel in the backseat of my car for three hours on the way to Nederland on Wednesday. They LOVED running around in Nanny and Paw Paw's big yard. They didn't pee on the floor (okay, maybe a little sprinkle by Archie on Nanny's rocking chair but not like the puddles he usually leaves in our dining room) and didn't bark like crazy to come inside if they were out for awhile. I put them in their kennel to sleep by me the first night. Norman used to sleep in the bed with us, but Archie has never been able to make it through the night in our bed without wetting it. Trust me, it's not worth waking up at 3 a.m., stripping the sheets, washing them, and sleeping on a bare mattress for the rest of the night just to have a little cuddle bug next to you. So since Norman and Archie are BFFs and they have to be together all the time, it's worked best for them to share a kennel at night far away from our bed. Well, I was feeling lonely because I didn't have Ranger around to snuggle with, so on Thursday night, the pups slept on the couch with me. This was a big risk. Paw Paw is very particular about his carpet and furniture. But it was a successful night! They were so snuggly and cute and made the sweetest noises. Archie woke up (and woke me up) at least every 30 minutes the first half of the night from walking on my face and chest, moving down to my feet by Norman, then finally settling for a spot on my pillow behind my head. It was perfect and I loved all nine times I woke up because of Archie trying to get settled. Friday night, I went home and was by myself another night. I decided to give them a chance to redeem themselves in the bed. They were so good! So now, they're snoring on either side of me as I type this from bed. We love it. They love to snuggle and keep us warm. I'm so glad we've crossed this milestone.
Ok, now for the thoughts I had that led me to this post. On Saturday, I had a lot of cleaning to do. Due to the above-mentioned puddles of pee, Fabuloso just wasn't going to cut it on the dining room floor. I needed to mop with bleach. I had a lot to do and was kind of in a time crunch. So I put Archie and Norman outside. I mopped the floor, which took about 15 minutes to dry. During that time, I swept up all the dog hair that accumulates too quickly in our house. The whole time, the pups were barking to come in. And not just little squeaks, but blood-curdling yelps that probably made the neighbors think we were beating them. I kept telling them no, but they just wouldn't stop. I had good reasons for not letting them in, but they couldn't see past their discomfort of being outside. They didn't understand why they couldn't be in. They thought they knew what they needed and what was best. Here's where the analogies come in:
1. The pups were so focused on their situation that the whole time they were outside, they were little balls of stress. At this point in the day, the weather was nice. They could have drunk from their big water bowl, played, or humped each other (favorite pasttime), but instead their anxiety and one-track minds led them to be miserable for 15 minutes.
- We can get so caught up in our situations that we are kept from enjoying them, growing, and being productive. I think back to a few years ago. I had just graduated college, and lots of people were moving away, starting cool new jobs, or getting married. I was still in College Station, didn't have a teaching position yet, and nowhere near being married. At times, I would focus so much on the negative that I forgot to enjoy that time in my life and use it as an opportunity to grow.
2. They didn't understand that they were outside for their own good. If I would have let them in, they would have gone into the kitchen and licked up the bleach from the floor. They lick anything. I was keeping them safe, but they thought I was being mean.
- Sometimes we go through things that we don't really like, but are for our good, either spiritually, emotionally, or physically. At the time, we don't understand why things can't be different. Again, back to the post-college, pre-marriage stage. Looking back, I am so thankful that I didn't get married younger, even glad that Ranger and I didn't meet sooner. Before we started dating, we had both learned some life lessons that we really needed to experience before marriage, and I think it's made us better for each other. I'm so thankful that God didn't give me what I wanted and thought I needed. I guess He's smarter than me?
3. Even though they desperately wanted to be inside, I had things to accomplish that I couldn't have done with them inside. Sure, I could have, but not the way I wanted to. My plan for cleaning the house was more important and urgent than them coming in right then.
- Like it or not, God is better than us, and His plan is more important than ours. His kingdom is eternal, and His plan stretches across the world and beyond. That is so much more than we can grasp. Just like the need for housecleaning, and the dogs not being a part of it, is more than they could understand. I kept thinking, I wish they could just get it. I need to do this, and their ruckus isn't helping. It will be over soon, all will be ok, and they'll be soooo embarrassed for barking this much. I wonder if God feels that way about us when we complain about our situations? Good thing He's way more patient with us than I am with the pups!
Do you have any dog/us/God analogies you'd like to share? Cats are fine too.

i love it megsy!! just what i needed to read today :) can't wait for tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteI love it! And dog is God spelled backwards. And nagem is megan spelled backwards
ReplyDeleteMegan, Thanks so much for this! Definitely something I needed to read...hope you're doing well :)
ReplyDeletelove, maribeth